Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Red Dragon

Not known for it's weather. Sorry let me start that again.

Not known for it's nice weather, Wales is often grey and overcast. Sometimes it is much worse though. Someone once said "you can't stop the music". In Wales you can't stop the rain. Wales = rain.



What you see above is the Welsh flag. A big red dragon. Really I should be writing each sentence in this portion of the blog in both English and Welsh. That is what they do in Wales on all the signs.

If you think I am going to you arre kidding yourself. Os ydych yn meddwl fy mod i'n mynd i chi arre kidding eich hun.

The Welsh language requires some amazing feets of linguistic acrobatics, or a very bad and phflegmy cold.

The drive to Wales was pleasent and wet and we were all excited to try out our new Welsh summer wear. Raincoat, fleece and hood. To quote my sister-in-law. "Here you are Nicola, you can wear this coat. It has a fleece in the lining and is water proof. But if it gets warm you can zip the fleece out"

Note she didn't say you can take your coat off. Wales just isn't that kind of place. 


What Wales lacks in good weather though it more than makes up for in castles. Take Conwy castle for instance. It took only 5000 builders and artisans 5 years to build a castle. WOW
It is a top place too.


Look at the place. It's amazing. You can't feel the stone, or indeed the biting wind from the battlements by looking at this picture but it is a real experiance. Gripping and very inspiring. Looking out over the ocean. Hundreds of years of weathering, history and of course people.

We didn't stop there though. We went the extra 20 miles, (31km) to the next and even bigger castle. That's right. In the time it takes some people to go to the shops there is another huge castle.

Caernarfon ,(what did I tell you abou the Welsh language?). This place took decades to build but it was completely solid. Never taken in all the years people tried and at one point an invasion was seen off by 28 people inside. 



You just aren't getting in this place. Unless you pay for your National Trust ticket , then it's ok.

My nephew, David, spotted this as we entered Wales, look closely and see if you can spot when a clever person has written on the wall.


Ironic really as Wales is so cold. Just for being so clever here is a picture of him . Cheeky little chap isn't he.


I am now several days behind my blogging. So much to do , so little time to sit on the net and waste my time drinking coffee and tip tapping away. As much as I would like to.

After Wales we went to Tatton Hall.

I have frequented this place over the years many times. Not far from where I grew up I had many a school trip here.

I just realised I have run out of time. I will continue later when I am back sat down not pushed . Meanwhile the clock ticks on my parking ticket. I will be back...

1 comment:

  1. So I guess that we need to take our winter woolies when we go over in August By the way, Tahnee fell off the monkey bars at school on Monday and has a green stick fracture of the collar bone. Nothing terribly serious, will take about 3 weeks to get over it and Tahnee is revelling in the attention.
    Keep up the blogging
    Ian

    ReplyDelete